28 July 2011

Alice in Cyberspace

Alice In Wonderland is one of my favorite stories of all time.  I stumbled upon this site which has the original illustrations by Sir John Tenniel free to the public as a downloadable zip! We're expecting some thunderstorms (thus, potential power outages) so I think I'll print out a few pages and pull out my old crayola box.  There's something about rainy weather that makes me feel like a kid...



What were some of your favorite things to do as a child during a power outage?

3 comments:

  1. Fun! We used to get them all the time in the Philippines - called them 'brown outs'. Not sure why?
    We would play games together - board games or cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Connie! I didn't know you had a blog! I *love* these illustrations! I checked out the unabridged book-on-record (yeah, record record) from our library on numerous occassions growing up. It had the text to read along with the narrator. I would just sit there and zone in on those pictures for hours as a kid! My favorite was the one of alice with this super elongated neck after she had just experienced the effects of "drink me". I think the eyes are what get me the most. So authentic and real for pen-and-ink. Thanks for posting! :-)

    In answer to your question--power outings were one of the few occassions where my parents used candles. Christmas was the other. So I associated the two. Big time warm-fuzzies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good point Crystal! Why do we only use candles during power outages?

    Kristin, we would play cards too!! But no board games. My brothers cheated too much ;-D

    ReplyDelete